The Kalpavriksha Trail is made of a whole string of small or mid-sized “lifestyle towns” for conscious living:
(this list is not exhaustive – let us know is we forgot something)
- Uluwatu (Pecatu, Balangan, Bingin, Suluban, Ungasan)
- Amed – Unspoiled seaside yoga and diving town nestled between sea and mountain in Northeast Bali
- Nusa Penida – An untouched island of Koh Phangan’s size right next to Bali, where everything remains possible
- Pemuteran – An emerging village full of holistic activities in North Bali
- Yogyakarta – Has risen to become something of a mecca for hippies and yogis, due to the presence of ancient temples, low cost of living, and general Hindu revival in the area. It is also the home of the Jogja Digital Valley
- Labuan Bajo – A fast-growing alternative lifestyle town in Indonesia’s “Wild East”
- Lombok (Senggigi, Kuta) – Home to a number of eco-villages and alternative living communities
- Nias Island – An internationally famous surfing destination. Nias was part of the hippie trail of the 1960s, which led to Bali. Adherence to either Christian or Moslem religions is still largely symbolic – Nias continues into current day celebrating its own world’s only megalithic culture and traditions as the primary form of spiritual expression.
- Kampot – An alternative living seaside town – Your ethical guide to Kampot
- Siem Reap – Home to Angkor Wat and a growing conscious community
- Otres Beach, Sihanoukville – A hippie beach village where the time has stopped
- Siargao Island – Has the best waves in the country and attracts surfers from all over the world.
- Siquijor Island – The island of herbal medicine
- El Nido – The most promising hippie town in the Philippines
- Gokarna – A small temple town in Karnataka. Shiva the most worshiped deity in the town. Gokarna is the one of the best beach destinations for tourists in the whole of India. > Gokarna Conscious Community
- Goa – Palolem –
- Goa – Patnem – One of the best places to live in Goa
- Hampi – A mystical and enchanting enclave in the Indian state of Karnataka, in the middle of ancient temples
- Varkala – Kerala’s bohemian beach
- Kodaikanal – The best of India’s hill stations (cold towns)
- Vattakanal – Another great, liveable hill station in Tamil Nadu. One of the lesser known towns on the Trail
- Auroville – An utopian spiritual township created by Sri Aurobindo. Surrounded by the Pitchandikulam ethnomedicinal forest
- Pushkar – Hippie town in Rajasthan with lots of culture and heritage
NORTH INDIA (Himalayas)
- Manali – Often called the ‘Goa of the North’ as a lot of people leave Goa during the heavy monsoon rains and move to Manali. You’ll see a lot of the restaurants and cafés have outlets in both Manali and Goa.
- Rishikesh – The capital of Yoga, in the Himalayas
- Kasol – The most popular hippie town in Himachal Pradesh
- Weligama – Sri Lanka’s emerging lifestyle hotspot
- Mirissa – A stunning, crescent-shaped beach town
- Hikkaduwa – World famous beachside town, well known for its scenic beaches, coral reef sanctuary, surfing and nightlife
- Ella – Sri Lanka’s best hill station
- Dali – The one and only hippie town of China, it is a treasure trove of culture and inspiration. Nestled in the enchanting Yunnan.
The Kalpavriksha Trail may also overlap with the Gringo Trail of Central and South America:
- Samara – Has an intoxicating hippie commune vibe
- Nosara – The yoga capital of Costa Rica
- Pachamamna – An off-grid community in the jungle, close to Nosara
- Playa Blanca
- Soltara – Ayauhasca retreat center in Playa Blanca – Uncensored review. On the Gulf of Nicoya in the mountainous jungle of Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula. Possessing the highest density of biodiversity of any country in the world, it is also labeled as one of the 5 “blue zones”, a term describing places where a high percentage of the population lives active lives over the age of 100.
- Dominical – Hippie Surf Town
- Montezuma – Yoga Town
- Puerto Viejo – Hippie Town
- Ometepe – An island refuge in the middle of Lake Nicaragua, with organic farms, yoga retreats, etc
- San Juan del Sur – A colorful surf town
- San Marcos La Laguna, on Lake Atitlan – The ultimate hippie village in Guatemala. The tiny village offers vegetarian restaurants, handmade jewelry, crochet tops, yoga, massages, reiki and sound healings.
- Playa Zipolite – Best known as being Mexico’s first and only legal public nude beach and for retaining much of the hippie culture that made it notable in the 1970s
- Oaxaca > Oaxaca Conscious Community
- Palomino – One of the ultimate backpacker spots and hippie towns in Colombia
- Ikaria – Greece’s most magical island
- Paralio Astros – Arcadian Living: a vibrant community of people who work remotely, organize events, etc
- Alacati – A sophisticated lifestyle town, located near a natural park and other wonders in the midst of the best area of Turkey.